Monday, February 11, 2008

So Much to Learn!

Well Crud! So, I eagerly waited for and found Bill Schmoker’s post this weekend and was blown away. He saw a bird that isn’t found in Colorado! LOL And his joy was as apparent as was his generosity and humbleness; he teaches us to make room for mistakes, to consider another’s opinions and to find all the fun he does in ‘the birding lifestyle’ and all its ID debates and sometimes surprising resolutions. In other words; remember The Power of Suggestion!

Yeah well…all that is very nice, especially when I consider my difficulty with the little red FINCHES. But now…well, I broke down and went to the library (gawd it galls me my books are still in boxes!).

But, what is this I find: Sapsuckers LOOK LIKE WOODPECKERS! I have been under the strong, confident and totally misguided (read that wrong) impression Sapsuckers look like Flickers! Dang!!! How do you people figure this stuff out?

I’m looking through Birds of the Central Rockies by Jan Wassink and find both Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers and Williamson’s Sapsucker look a whole bunch like both the Downy and the Hairy Woodpeckers. Arrrrgggggggggggggg!!!

And I have so much to learn…

No comments: