Monday, January 10, 2011

First Decent Snow = Lots and Lots of Rosy-finches!

Yup, they're back! First little snowstorm (12/31) they showed up for the first time of the season; late nearly a whole month. They only came for about a day and a half...and then disappeared (as is their habit early in the season.)

Last night we got 4-5 inches of snow and it's still coming down lightly. The Rosy-Finches arrived a little after six this morning...and are here in the hundreds.

These photos are from my little, old camera...but perhaps I'll get some better shots when my neighbor comes over. She has a beautiful, new camera and likes birds!

I can slowly open the back door and even sit inside on a bucket while the birds whirl away and come back and begin feeding again. But...it's very cold!

Perhaps the better idea was to just open the door and stick out my camera...as the photos below show.

At any rate, it looks like a good snow-day...I may not go to work after all, but I do hate to do that. I'd rather give the plows time to clear things up, and head out. I hope I can.

These are pics from just one feeding area; there are three others. Plus, you can see I'd just made them fly up...and they were still coming back in when I tried for a quick shot. When they all whorl up together...it sounds awesome and makes quite a lovely 'school of birds'; totally in unison.

1 comment:

Jen Sanford said...

O.M.G. That's a lot of finches!! How awesome that you can get so close to them!