Monday, May 31, 2010

In the Beginning

In the beginning it was a mess. But, can you see it?
Do you see what it will be?
I have dreamed of this since I moved from the one I built in Denver; and this time it won't involve digging! Yippieeeeeeeee!

I bought the house with a root cellar just outside my kitchen window. I'm talking: there was a roof on the ground ten feet away from the window. And it was an eyesore; the bears had fallen through it trying to get into an old apple tree. It was ruined.
But...I could see a new life.

For a couple years now, this has been the 'new' view outside my window. I had the roof removed and all manner of organic rubble piled on the far side. That will be the berm. I love little hills in a flat-rectangle of a back yard. The berm holds the beginning.

Can you imagine what it will look like before the end of summer? An oasis, a bird magnet...at last something very pleasing to the eye.

I've bought or ordered everything I need; dirt to top the rip-rap will arrive sometime next month...and will be topped by some really nice soil into which I can plant. First I have to get electricity outside, but I'm working on that, too. I really cannot afford this, but there is something called 'quality of life'...for which I am a huge proponent.

Can you see my dream?
A hint:
I built this one
a few years ago.

May Yard Birds
* = Fly Over

Common Nighthawk *, Western Wood-Pewee, House Wren, Indigo Bunting, Cassin's Finch, Lesser Goldfinch, Yellow Warbler, Mourning Dove, Western Tanager, Chipping Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Black Phoebe, Lazuli Bunting, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Black-headed Grosbeak, Brown-capped Rosy-Finch, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Bullock's Oriole, Broad-tailed Hummingbird, White-winged Dove, Brown-headed Cowbird, Violet-green Swallows *, Yellow-rumped Warbler - Audubon's, Great-tailed Grackle, Common Grackle, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Turkey Vulture, Song Sparrow, Pine Siskins, Red-winged Blackbird, American Robin, Evening Grosbeak, Blue Jay, American Crow, American Goldfinch, White-breasted Nuthatch, Mountain Chickadee, Hairy Woodpecker, Black-capped Chickadee, Northern Flicker: Red-shafted, Downy Woodpecker, House Finch, Black-billed Magpie, European Starling, House Sparrow, Eurasian Collared-Dove

No comments: