Thursday, March 25, 2010

Early Spring Storms

Rosy Finches, all three species, have been coming to my yard since I started feeding birds here three years ago. This year, they arrived on December 4th.

It started with only 40-50 Rosies and quickly grew to as many as 5-600. This is the first year they have stayed around as much as they have; longer between snowstorms and longer through the days they visit.

About 16-18 inches of snow fell here a few days ago, and another such storm came yesterday, so I assume the Rosies will be here close to the end of March, but I don't believe I've ever had them here in April. It will be sad to see them go; as the seasons change, so do the birds that visit.

For example, the Evening Grosbeaks, here about all year, have been coming in numbers of 40-50 at a time. Not only their numbers, but the color of their bills tells me Spring is near. Have you noticed the Evening Grosbeaks bills turn a beautiful teal color during breeding season? Yes, and their bills are changing now, I detected the blue/green color on several, if not most of the visiting big beaks.

This Song Sparrow is one of 3-4 that I see in the yard at any given time.

Also around with the Red-winged Blackbirds, Starlings, and Eurasian-collared Doves, are lots of Juncos, House Finch, Am. Goldfinch, Pine Siskins, Song Sparrows, Mtn and Bk-capped Chickadees, Wt-breasted Nuthatchs, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers, Northern Flickers, Blue Jays, the occasional Scrub Jay, Crows and Ravens are around, 40-50 Evening Grosbeaks, a few American Robins and a couple Cassian’s Finches.

The Meadowlarks didn’t stay but the one day, the Lewis’s Woodpecker hasn’t been seen in a couple weeks, but the White-winged Dove was here again today and I saw the FOS (First of Season) Turkey Vulture in a nearby tree on March 20th. In the past week I’ve watched a Red-tailed Hawk, a Cooper’s Hawk and a Great Horned Owl watching the yard.

It's time to put out the Hummingbird feeders!

While the rest of the photos are mine, the Turkey Vulture is from Wikipedia...

4 comments:

Bosque Bill said...

You have certainly been blessed with the Rosy Finches this year! I've been amazed as I've read your earlier posts and enjoyed the photos of the masses.

You've had visits from other cool birds, too, I read. Good for you.

Beverly said...

Oh Bill,

I've been having a blast...hundreds and hundreds of the pink-butts and that Lewis's WP has brought me a whole slew of visitors here, too. I've met some of the neatest people; photographers, birders, authors...

You're right, too; I DO feel blessed!

Thanks for visiting, as always. I sure get a kick out of watching your posts, too. Quite the twitter, you; I just don't go there, myself. LOL

I'll tell ya what though, I sure do enjoy your video clips and other photography. You've become quite the educator; I like that!

DaveABirding said...

I have been following yoru updates on the rosies on CObirds, if you do get to any banding next season I'll look forward to the photos of that as well! Fun shots of the flocks.

Beverly said...

Hey Dave!

I checked out your blog, too; sweet! You're a MUCH better photographer than I am...and obviously have a better lens, too. Lucky man!

We've been birding nearly the same length of time...did you notice that?

It looks like a possibility that a group or two might be able to band Rosies here next winter. Time and funding are obviously an issue; lets keep our fingers crossed!

Thanks for visiting!