Monday, March 8, 2010

As winter winds down and spring arrives...my yard birds are beginning to change. All the Rosies continue to come and no longer ONLY when it snows. Apparently they know a good food source when they find it. Yesterday, while there was still snow on the ground, it is receding and hasn't snowed in a week yet a visiting birder counted 240 Rosy-finches...all three species. He also was granted a visit by the unusual winter Lewis's Woodpecker, who is still around. The day before I'd seen two Cassin's Finch feeding near a bush under a feeder, their bright red crests shockingly identifiable as the sun back-lit the little, pale-breasted birds. And as I got up early to fill feeders before the visitor arrived, I walked out to find a Great Horned Owl calling from the very top of the huge evergreen...and another answering nearby. Yup, spring is coming!


February birds:

Pine Siskins, Red-winged Blackbird, Western Scrub-Jay, Cooper's Hawk, Brewer's Blackbird, Song Sparrow, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Common Raven, American Robin, Lewis's Woodpecker, Cassin's Finch, Evening Grosbeak, Black Rosy-Finch, Brown-capped Rosy-Finch, Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch, Blue Jay, American Crow, White-winged Dove, American Goldfinch, White-breasted Nuthatch, Mountain Chickadee, Hairy Woodpecker, Black-capped Chickadee, Dark-eyed Junco, House Finch, Northern Flicker - Red-shafted, Downy Woodpecker, Black-billed Magpie, European Starling, House Sparrow, Eurasian Collared-Dove.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Beverly, a friend and I are thinking of stopping by in the morning of the 20th on our way over to Monte Vista.
Debbie

Beverly said...

Great! It will be good to see you again. Let me know what time, will you? Early is fine, by the way...

Chas S. Clifton said...

We have had a real invasion of evening grosbeaks for the last month. Are they down in La Veta too?

Not many finches though -- a couple Cassin's, a couple of house finches -- and no American goldfinches at all this year.

Beverly said...

Hey Chas,

Yup, usually around 12-15 EVGB at any one time, sometimes as many as 30 or more...once I counted 50 on the ground under my feeders.

They don't seem to enjoy the company of the pink-butts; but then 500 birds may be a bit intimidating? I seldom see them together; when the Rosies leave, the Grosbeaks land. Odd...

Thanks for visiting!!!

I missed the Siskins for the longest time, but they ARE back, and Am.Gfs seem never to have left. Lessers were still here a couple months ago (much to my surprise; still in breeding plumage), but I don't recognize them now...IF they are here. Cole Wild was here and told me not only are the Lessers significantly smaller...they have dark bills, unlike the AmGfs. I suspect they just aren't here, though. I do have tons of House Finches, in all 3 color-variations and saw two male Cassin's several times.

Doncha just love the changing seasons? I hope this summer I have more Lazuli Buntings...and maybe another Indigo.

Unknown said...

We will be there around 8am next Saturday as we are leaving at 6am. I hope that is fine. It will be at least 2 of us but possibly a 3rd. See you on the 20th!