Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Today was a Snow-day

So, I’d say I know I’m a birder because I had a snow day today and stayed home from work feeding birds and watching them the whole day long! I fed them often and tried very hard to keep those voracious Red-winged Blackbirds from mobbing every place the little songbirds tried to eat; to the point that I spent a couple hours at the back door where I finally spread seed just on the other side of the glass door. It’s fun to watch them get so full, it looks like their chests are puffed out in pride from cleaning their plates. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Pink-butts for an hour or two in the morning, too!

Today, I watched what I believe to be:
Generally I also see 2-3 White-breasted Nuthatch, a few Evening Grosbeak, several Purple Finches, American Robins, Black-billed Magpies, Northern Flickers, the occasional Steller's Jay and the usual Common Grackles who seemed to be missing from the blackbird mob today. Once in awhile, a Hawk (Sharp-shinned?) and a Great Horned Owl stop by for lunch.

What a lovely way to spend a snow-day; I heard geese go by overhead...
I love that!

No comments: