Saturday, February 5, 2011

La Veta's Lovely Rosies

Okay, after the post (Wuzza Blackbird) earlier today, I thought I should leave you with something more sweet to dream about: Rosy-Finches! I really don't think one can post too many shots of these rare beauties. Again, all these photos are by my friend and neighbor: Polly Wren Neldner. (Yes, Polly Wren is her given name)

Lordy, how could a bird be so beautiful. That pink is hot as hot-pink gets.

Oddly, I've got more Cassin's Finch in my yard than ever before; about a dozen are hanging around. I love their pale, pale breasts and (usually) spiky, red top-knots. I finally figured out how to 'see' the females; their brown top-knots are spiky, too.

This year I seem to be getting more Blacks than usual, too...aren't they just stunning!

Okay, as not to play favorites, here are several Brown-capped Rosy-Finches...stunning in their own right. No, silly...not the Gray-crowned right in front; but the beautiful Browns on either side.

Here, Polly got all the brands of Rosy-Finch there are: Blacks (which have no brown on them), Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (a brown bird with grey cap) and it's sub-species the Hepburn's which sports a whole head-full of beautiful silver) and of course the Brown-capped Rosy-Finch who's cap is dark brown and not gray at all.

I can't help it...I am partial to the Blacks. Perhaps it's because, usually, there are so few of them mixed in the flocks that come down to visit.

Part of the allure these birds have for me is their flight-pattern and their beautiful, silver under-wings. They fly like schools of fish; totally synchronized. Those wings just add to their beauty as I look up at the clouds that come and go. They are quite tame, so you hear and feel them all take off together, just a couple feet away. It's a beautiful sound and a delightful sensation.

All photos by Polly Wren Neldner, whose work you can see here. Click to imbiggen.

No comments: