Saturday, April 24, 2010

April 22nd Broad-tailed Hummingbird

On April 22, the First of Season (FOS) Broad-tailed Humming-bird visited the feeders I'd had out for a week. Yes, I'd changed the nectar once, as the week was quite warm and I know it will go bad in just 3-4 days. For the first few weeks as they arrive, as well as the last few weeks before they leave again, I always prepare smaller amounts of nectar and make it slightly stronger (with a bit more sugar than 4/1 water to sugar) and only add a few ounces to each feeder. With this practice, I both toss less out between feeder-changes AND I ensure the birds are able to get the calories they need during migrations through these mountains both coming and going.

What I found interesting is, April 22 was the same day last year, that I found my FOS Broad-tailed Hummingbird! If all follows that pattern, I should see a Black-chinned tomorrow, as they seem to follow the BTs by a few days; last year, the FOS BC hummer was spotted on April 25th. I'll keep my eyes peeled!

The photo is from Wikipedia. Remember, a hummingbird's color is determined on how light shines on feathers. Sometimes a chin will look black, but if the sun shines on the bird straight-on, the color will be brilliant. In fact...male hummingbirds will make sure the sun is behind the female for whom he dances, ensuring the very best shine to impress her with his most dazzling colors.

As always, click the labels below to see more posts and photos on the topic.

No comments: