Saturday, January 17, 2009

An Ancient Song

Tonight I was privileged to a duet. A song of desire and want on a cold, winter night. A song of the ages: the haunting calls of a pair of owls…Great Horned.

One, then the other…calling, answering, calling again; calling for the hope of continued success in their world, in my world; in our world.

You can hear their beautiful song, here: load the page, turn up the sound, sit back and close your eyes…it’s magical. There are long pauses between calls; imagine a cold, crisp night, your breath contained in a scarf around your face and nose...standing in the dark, straining to hear these ancient songs.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beverly, my husband and I drove up to Nunn to go on the raptor tour with Gary Lefko yesterday. We saw many great horned owls sleeping in the trees. It was fantastic to see those beauties!

(Also saw several golden eagles, northern harriers and rough legged hawks.)

Beverly said...

Hey Debbie,
I saw your comments on Gary's site...it looks like you all had a BLAST! Way cool...

Amila Salgado said...

Hi Beverely,
I will come back to listen to this song when I am in the mood.

I just came here to tell you that I have done a post about my pond. I am sorry it took long!

Beverly said...

OMG... THAT is some pond, Sir!!! The only thing that tops the pond are your photographs of the creatures for whom you built the water feature! All I can say is WOW. You folks have GOT to go see his blog and FANTASTIC photographs!

mdmnm said...

What a very cool concert (at least, so long as you're not a rabbit)!

Beverly said...

LOL Right! Hey MDMNM...thanks for stopping by.

Dawn Fine said...

Fun...thanks for the great concert!

Lisa said...

What a wonderful duet! Haunting and beautiful.

ehunter said...

I love how you wrote that. I'm at work right now and will have to wait to play this song. But I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for posting this.

Anonymous said...

I have heard screech and barred owl, but never the great, ancient song of the Great Horned owl. I must say that I envy you a little bit now.

Beverly said...

Well...don't be. I can't say I've ever heard either of the owls you mention. While we do have Screech owls around here (and I've likely heard them, even)...I have no idea what they sound like. I should spend more time in those 'sound libraries'... I think it's so cool we can share stuff like bird-calls. There are several now, that I CAN identify by call, but not that many. I think it's great fun.

Thanks for visiting; it's always good to 'see ya'.